Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Life and Love

My best friend is getting married on Sept. 10th, 2011. I've known her since I was almost 14, so over half my life. She has been by my side through thick and thin, and though our paths have carried us in different directions over the years, we always come back to each other and it's like no time has ever passed.

That's the way real friendships are. I have very few people in my life that I have this sort of connection with, but two of them I met almost at the same time. Funny, how you can make a friend in your early teens and they're still your closest friend in your adult years. Some friends come and some go, and that's ok.

Just like some relationships. The longest one I was in lasted about 3 years, not including the back and forth we had for about a year afterwards. There was a time in my life where I was scared and alone, and just wanted the stability that our relationship used to offer... even if it meant compromising what I wanted for my future. It took me quite a while to realize what I was doing to myself, and to him (and his poor girlfriend), in the process. I don't know exactly when I grew up and grew out of my self destructive behaviour; I just know that I did.

I've been with my husband for almost 2.5 years now. We have a beautiful son together. My life is exactly the way I always hoped it would be. I'm married to my best friend, despite the times we fight and drive each other crazy. We love each other madly and our family is beautiful, including my family-in-law. I have a mother in law who would do anything for me, and our son. I'm blessed and lucky to have everything that I do.

So is it weird for me to be happy for my ex and his soon to be wife? I don't think so. I think it's wonderful that they're getting married. Funny enough, they're also getting married the same day my best friend is. Know what else? No weirdness. None. Part of me wishes that I could've stayed on better terms with them, so that I could wish them all the best, but that's life. Most of us don't stay friends with our exes anyways, right? But I genuinely wish them well and hope they have a wonderful day.

I guess that's what growing up is. Being able to wish well for those who aren't in your life anymore, not holding grudges, not having ill will for people. I've matured a lot since then, and I'm glad I did. I'm far happier with myself and my life than I've ever been, and I truly hope that they are too.

Also, I can't wait for Jasmina's wedding! To watch my best friend take her vows and see the look on her face as she marries her best (male) friend, I'm just so excited for her. I love her to bits, she is such an awesome person. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment